[TR] Experience with ethanol blend in old TRs

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Experience with ethanol blend in old TRs
From: Joe Lynn <jlynn604@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:39:41 -0400
I was reading a story in the paper the other day about all the reasons
that gas stations are raising the price multiple times a day as if a
hurricane had shut down a bunch of refineries, and something caught my
attention: Stations are cleaning out their tanks and pumps in
preparation for the new ethanol blend we'll be getting here on the East
coast this summer instead of the old MTBE summer blend. According to the
story, ethanol is such an effective solvent that stations will have
problems if they don't drain and clean their tanks first -- the gas will
be full of crud.

All this got me to thinking about the rather cruddy-looking gas tank in
my TR3A. Not to mention the cruddy looking fuel pump... you get the picture.

I think that other areas of the country have been using ethanol blends
in past years. Has anyone run into problems with ethanol dissolving old
crud and clogging up their systems?

All the best,
Joe Lynn
Downingtown, PA