[TR] Starter acting funny...

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Starter acting funny...
From: "Wages, Jeffrey (CDC/NCID/DHQP)" <bzw8@CDC.GOV>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:36:18 -0400
Hi all,

My starter on my '73 TR6 recently began acting funny. Yes it's telling
bad jokes and making balloon animals..haha.  By 'funny' I mean it acts
like its straining similar to a weak battery when first starting (cold)
and this gets worse once the car is hot (to the point of not starting at
all). The starter and solenoid on the car are less than a year old
(rebuild) and all the cables (grounding & pos) were replaced at that
time also. The alternator (new) is also about a year old. I also swapped
batteries with my other TR6 and by all indications both batteries take a
charge and hold it. The car runs with the battery disconnected.

I've experienced starters on other cars getting hot and binding some but
that wouldn't explain the straining when cold.

One interesting observation that may be relevant is that the Volt meter
indicates 12.5 volts with ignition on before hitting the starter. Once
the car has started the meter indicates 11 volts for a short time (30-40
sec) then very slowly moves up to 15 volts. The ignition light stayed on
once during all of this and then went off as soon as I revved the motor.
This leads me to believe that there is something in the circuit that is
dropping the voltage to the starter (possibly a failing solenoid) and I
thought that someone here might have some ideas as to the most likely
culprit or what else to check for.

To make matters more confusing it did this for about two days (stranding
me once) then yesterday began working perfectly again. This again leads
me to look for some electrical fault.

Thanks,

Jeff
Atlanta