[TR] Electric fan thermostat

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Electric fan thermostat
From: "Jim Wallace" <grandfatherjim@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:42:56 -0400
I've been thinking about this for some time now, and something about Chris's
message struck a chord, so I called up Scott's Manufacturing and ordered one
of the thermostats described below (I already have an electric fan on hand).
I think it was the "simple is beautiful" theme......
They are not on the web. To save you some time hunting, here is their
number: 800-544-5596. I spoke with Gary who was most helpful; he is going to
throw in a wiring diagramme with the order. btw they have re-located to
Rhode Island so are on eastern time.
Jim
2TS81417L+O
==============================
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>

You can find all sorts of fancy, adjustable, solid state or otherwise
electric fan thermostats on the market. I've tried them all, and they
all have ... interesting failure modes. I finally settled on the dead-simple
fixed temp version that Scotts Manufacturing sells. You can find their
contact information in the Monster List (www.dimebank.com) - it's
a small round button sold with two "nails" that go through the core.
I mount it about 1/3 of the way from the bottom of the radiator and
wire it into the ground lead of the fan. If you also want manual
control, you can wire a toggle switch in parallel, but I never bother.

You can make adjustments in when it comes on by moving it up and
down the core - higher to come on earlier (lower temp), lower to
come on later (higher temp). My theory is that you want to run the fan
only when the exit temp of the water is increased, not when the
entry temp is...

Have fun.

chris

===     http://www.vtr.org