[TR] TR4A ignition advance question

To: tr list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4A ignition advance question
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@ipns.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:37:40 -0700
I'm considering installing one of the 123 ignition modules that
someone mentioned here before (http://www.123ignition.nl/).  The unit
has 16 advance curves to select from, in four groups based on max
total advance (27, 30, 33 or 36 degrees).  Within each group you can
either select a linear advance, or one of three more agressive
advance curves.

My question is, which group would be  reasonable starting place for
the four cylinder TR engine?  Looking in the manual, the only
information I can find is on testing the distributor.  It indicates
max mechanical advance of 9-11 degrees, and vacuum advance of 2.75.
Taking the larger mechanical advance added to the vacuum advance you
would get only 13.75 degrees, which seems really low, and much lower
than the 123 ignition offers.

I did find a site talking about tuning a Mini engine with this
ignition, and from the descriptions they provide, 30 or 33 degrees
sound like a reasonable starting place, but I can't reconcile that
number with what the manual says.

--
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS CTC67956L