Re: [TR] Fuel Pressure Test

To: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>,
Subject: Re: [TR] Fuel Pressure Test
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 21:10:36 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 7:46 AM
Subject: [TR] Fuel Pressure Test

> What's the best way to check your fuel pump pressure? What kind of gage
> and
> how do you hook it up? I'm trying to check the pressure on my mechanical
> fuel pump.

Bob-
    You will need a fuel pressure gauge capable of measuring fuel pressure
down to 0 PSI.
It would be installed between the fuel pump and the carbs. If you are
running a stock mechanical pump, you should be somewhere around 2 1/2- 3 1/2
PSI. one should also check for fuel volume as well as it is possible to have
fuel pressure within specs but insufficient volume. You should have a
relatively full stream of fuel exiting the line each time the fuel pump
pulses. If not, you may have blockage in the supply system. The poor man's
way of observing all of this is to get a see-thru fuel filter and install it
in-line with the fuel line just before the carbs, then you can observe the
flow without a gauge.
Good luck,
Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6