Re: [TR] Idle Oil Pressure TR4A

To: mini@nashvilletn.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Idle Oil Pressure TR4A
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 13:42:58 EDT
In a message dated 5/2/2006 11:58:11 AM Central Standard Time,
mini@nashvilletn.org writes:
> A week ago I went for about a 50 mile drive in near 80 degree weather.  My
> startup oil pressure is about 50 and it is 70 at speed (hot) but when hot at
> idle it will get down to 20-30.  Oil is 20W50 Castrol and I have not noticed
> this condition before, can the oil pressure relief valve stick open and
> cause
> this?  There are no noises or other indication of a problem.  Maybe just put
> piece of tape over the gauge!

I think a piece of tape is in order.  Your oil pressure sounds pretty good
for an engine with a number of miles.  If it were a fresh rebuild I would be
concerned.

If you like you can drop the pan and replace all the crank bearings and the
oil pump and you will see a nice improvement in oil pressure but sure enough,
in another 50,000 miles you'll see the same thing all over again.

My TR8 runs 35 PSI at speed and at idle it will drop to 8.  It's been like
that the whole time I've had it and 40,000 miles later it still runs like a top.

So, how much pressure do you need?  Enough is sufficient.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org