RE: [TR] TR6 with gas

To: <elangtr4@aol.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR6 with gas
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 11:23:11 -0700
> I recently pulled my TR6 out of storage for it's first spring
> run. I pulled and charged the battery and checked all the fluids.
> The level on the dipstick was about 1 and a half inches above
> full and smelled of gas and I know I didn't put that much oil in.
> The car ran well with no problems when I parked it in November. I
> had the carbs completely rebuilt about 2 years ago and also
> replaced the gas tank with one that had been freshly sealed. The
> gas tank was full with fresh gas and a little Stabil. The car was
> parked in a closed garage on a flat surface. What's up?

My guess is that you have a float valve that is leaking just a bit.  With
the tank full, the level in the tank is above the carb throats, so gravity
overfilled the float bowls.  The fuel then runs down the carb throat, into
the intake manifold, past the open intake valve (there's always one), then
past the rings in that cylinder(s) and thus into the crankcase.

Probably the float & valve are fine, just a piece of crud got stuck.  It may
even be gone now.  If you haven't recently, now might be a good time to
replace all your soft fuel lines, especially the ones under the tank (that
most people forget).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org