[TR] TR4A Oil Circulation - Long

Subject: [TR] TR4A Oil Circulation - Long
From: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 20:55:20 -0500
I picked the block up from the machine shop this morning and they did a
great job!
If you are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I highly recommend Arlington
Automotive Machine Shop in Arlington, Texas.

When I got it home I began a close inspection of all the oil passageways
to ensure that they are obstruction free.
As I discovered and inventoried all of the oil passageways, it occurred
to me that I did not really know how the oil circulation worked,
therefore I need some knowledge about what to look for.

What I found was:

1. A passageway from the front main bearing surface to the front cam
bearing surface
2. A passageway from the mid main bearing surface to the second cam
bearing surface
3. A passageway from the rear main bearing surface to the rear cam
bearing surface
4. A passageway from the rear cam bearing surface to the top of the
block
5. A passageway from the front main bearing surface to the oil gallery
6. A passageway from the mid main bearing surface to the oil gallery
7. A passageway from the rear main bearing surface to the oil gallery
8. A passageway from the #3 cam bearing surface to the oil gallery

After discovering these passageways, I surmised that the oil flow must
work something like:

1. The oil pump moves the oil from the sump, up into the arterial
passageway under the dizzy pedestal.  This is the same passageway that
the oil pump shaft goes through.
2. The oil, having nowhere else to go because of the shaft passing
through the bushing, enters the path of least resistance which is the
hole leading into the oil filter.
3. The oil passes through the filter (is "cleaned"), and exits into the
oil gallery.
4. The oil from the gallery moves directly to the three main bearing
surfaces and the #3 cam bearing surface.
5. From the 3 main bearing surfaces, the oil is forced into the other
cam bearing surfaces (front, #2 and rear).
6. From the rear cam bearing surface the oil is forced up to the top of
the block to supply the head mechanisms.
7. What goes up, must come down.  The oil from the head then trickles
back down into the sump, oiling the push rods and tappets along the way.

Is this about right?  Are there any oil passageways that I missed?

A couple of other observations I made include:

1. There is an intermediate chamber in the block "between" the filter's
incoming passageway and the exit passageway.  It corresponds with the
middle hole on the filter.  What is this for?  Some sort of pressure
relief space?
2. Is the oil gallery one long continuous tube from the front to the
rear of the block?  Mine seemed to be divided at the dizzy "arterial".

I looked for resources on the Internet that detail the oil circulation
and found none.  Do anyone on the list know of any?

Peace be with you!

Guy D. Huggins

1965 Triumph TR4A
CTC 63569LO