[TR] Oil Relief Valve

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Oil Relief Valve
From: "hdrider570" <hdrider570@mail.ev1.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 09:40:07 -0500
My own experience with oil relief valves is that most of them are worn.  The
spring tends to rub/wear on one side which changes the spring rate dramaticly.
Under close inspection the ball is often chipped.  Replacing the spring and
ball and of course cleaning the complete assembly is a stanard practice for any
engine that I own or work on.

Replacement of these parts "Cures" most low oil pressure proplems on all but
the most worn engines.

Also to note is that I use Castrol 20/50 exclusivly in my TR's.  I have not had
a return of oil pressure proplems once the components were replaced using
Castrol.

To note:  I also own a Harley that uses a similar ball and spring arrangement.
It is common practice with these engines to "Reset" the ball by cleaning and
gently tapping it onto the seat.  When the seating is not complete on a HD
engine it pumps oil out of the crankcase vent.  This happens with oils other
than Castrol as most people run HD oil or similar After Market Products.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA

===     http://www.vtr.org