Re: [TR] Spitfire differential rebuild

To: "Tim Gaines" <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Subject: Re: [TR] Spitfire differential rebuild
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 12:05:53 -0700
> But I do have some questions for the
>experts out there.
>
>It is obvious that the two side output shaft bearings are shot.  The
>others look okay.  I'm thinking that while I am in there I should
>replace all the bearings though.  That will add only about $75 to the
>cost of parts (not much compared to the cost of a remanufactured diff
>from one of the catalogs so I'm not too upset about this), but I don't
>really want to do something that isn't necessary.  What is your advice
>here?
*************************************
You Asked --:-)
In my opinion It's foolish economy to NOT replace the bearings whenever you
are rebuilding a differential.  The cost is not a factor considering all
the work that you will have to do again when the bearings fail, and they
will, much sooner than if you replace them now (if they haven't started
already).  However, this entails setting up the gear mesh and end float
CORRECTLY, something which takes a fair bit of skill and work - as well as
a few tools not usually in the average mechanics tool box -
I depends upon the noise though.  If the noise was a howl or whine then
chances are the ring and pinion are worn.  If it been a growl, than
bearings are suspect -  The only bearings that can be replaced without
adjustment of some kind are the inner axle bearings, which are ball
bearings -

Barry Schwartz (San Diego)