RE: [TR] remembering how the caliper looked on a TR3

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] remembering how the caliper looked on a TR3
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 13:14:56 -0700
> Ok, I am sitting in front of the mounted caliper. I'm trying to remember
> where the line runs to.  There are two 1/8" steel grommet tabs
> welded to the
> chassis with 1/2"
> holes coming off the shock tower, one is on the
> strut and one closer to the wheel.  Are both of them used for the brake
> line?

Paul, I don't recall what the other tab is for, but only one tab is used for
the brake line on each side.  On a TR3A the soft line screws into the
caliper directly, with a sealing washer, and then sticks through a tab on
the frame.  There is a nut and lockwasher that secure the hose fitting to
the tab, then the hard line fastens to the end of the fitting.  ISTR the tab
is on the angled brace from the suspension tower to the frame, but I could
be mistaken.

>  Which one does the line from the brass proportioning valve run to
> first?

There is a separate steel line for each caliper from the "5-way" brass
fitting.  There is no proportioning valve as such, both front and rear
brakes always see the same pressure.  The valve on top of the 5-way is
actually a residual pressure valve, that holds a small amount of pressure in
the brake lines all the time.  It's worth having it apart for cleaning, IMO,
as they sometimes get full of rust & crud and cause problems with the
brakes.

>  I guess it is rubber from there to the caliper unit?

Nope.  Rubber lines are always more apt to fail than hard lines, plus they
cost more to manufacture.  So they are almost always kept as short as
possible (and should stay that way).

If you look in the TR3 supplement at the back of the factory TR2-3 workshop
manual (or the Bentley reprint), there is a pretty good diagram of the
hydraulic system on a car with front disc brakes (Page R1).  Your car should
have the later design calipers and the residual pressure valve, but
otherwise be the same.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org