RE: [TR] Oil pressure

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Oil pressure
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 15:32:11 -0700
> OK, the oil pressure at idle on my 1971 TR6 with 140,000 miles I've put
> on this motor, after it is fully warmed up, is just over 1 kg on the
> gauge.  That comes out to about 15 psi.  At 1500 rpm pressure jumps to
> 50psi; at speed, 3200rpm, she runs just over 5 kg, which works out to
> about 70psi.

Just my opinion, Peter, but I'd say you should be only slightly bothered.
Slightly bothered as in planning to do a rebuild as soon as any new symptoms
manifest.  But as long as the engine sounds fine, no bearing rattles at startup
and so on, I'd leave well enough alone.  Most likely it's got a few good years
left in it, for the way you've apparently been driving it.

Of course, oil pressure only tells you about bearings, it says nothing about
rings & valves.  If you're concerned about predicting how long you have, a
compression test might be in order.  But there again, if it ain't broke, don't
fix it.

On the third hand, I wouldn't be volunteering the car to test the new blower kit
!

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org