[TR] Plug Heat Range Part 2

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Plug Heat Range Part 2
From: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 22:22:48 -0400
Thanks to everyone for all the info on the heat range of various plugs. The
information was so good that I added it to my site under the "Spark Plug"
link. My reason for asking is that most of my trips are of short duration
and around town in stop and go traffic. As a result, the car probably never
gets up to the same operating temperature that it would on a long highway
drive. So I'm wondering if I'm better off trying a hotter plug for more
efficiency...if that makes sense. I was running NGK BP6ES (2 years old) and
just switched to the N9YC. For some reason the N9YC plug did not like the
carb mixture setting at all. It ran like crap until I richened the mixture
almost 1/2 turn from where I had settled in after the carb rebuild. So I
made the plug swap to have fresh plugs to read at the new mixture setting.
For those of you good at plug reading, there's pictures up at
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/Sparkplugs.htm  of plugs with about 150 miles
on them. The pictures make it look like there's a big carbon build up but
wiping a finger on the black part comes away very clean. To me it looks as
if the carbs are now too rich but these plugs didn't like a leaner setting.

So what are the benefits of running a hotter plug anyway? Cleaner running?
Improved fuel economy? Or is just a matter of what works best in your car?

Thanks

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org