RE: [TR] Copper Head Gaskets TR3

To: <TR250Driver@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Copper Head Gaskets TR3
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 20:35:48 -0700
> Kind of dumb, but I purchased a $75 copper head gasket thinking that is  what
> I needed for the TR3B.  Then the top end gasket kit comes with what I
> thought was a copper gasket?  Now I have two!  The one in the Kit
> matches the one
> that was on the 3.  The real copper one is strange  looking?  I probably need
> to learn about these before and if I put it  on.

There are two different "copper" gaskets.  The original gasket was a composite,
with asbestos sheeting in the middle, copper cladding on the outside, and
visible copper trim crimped around each of the openings.    Unless you are
building a race motor, I would suggest sticking with this type, as they are
easiest to seal, IMO.

The other type is solid copper, made for racing.  More durable perhaps than the
original composite, but harder to get to seal.  The fellow that makes them had
to develop a special sealer just for the purpose ...

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org