RE: [TR] TR4A - Measuring Crankshaft End-Float

To: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>,
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4A - Measuring Crankshaft End-Float
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:04:39 -0700
> According to it, you take a feeler gauge and measure the space between
> the central bearing cap and the thrust washer.

I think you've misread the manual, Guy.  The measurement should be taken
between the thrust washer and the crankshaft thrust surface.  Since the
washers sit in a notch in the cap (otherwise they would fall out), you can't
get in between the washer and cap with a feeler gauge.

> My issue is that I cannot move the crankshaft to one extreme end in
> order to create this space.
> The crank rotates freely enough, but I can't get it to slide end to end.

That sounds like there is something wrong.  What happens if you try to slide
a thin (like .002") feeler in on each side of the center cap ?  Are you sure
that all the thrust washers are the same thickness (or at least are paired
upper and lower) ?  Seated properly in the notches ?

How hard are you prying on the crank to move it end-to-end ?

> I was contemplating backing off the center cap bolts a bit to loosen the
> tension, but would this create an inaccurate measuring scenario?

Yes, I believe it would.  The cap might tilt slightly and throw the
measurement off.  However, you need to identify and fix the problem, so this
might lead you in the right direction.

Generally TRactor motors don't have thrust washer problems like the TR5/6
motors do.  But I've learned through the years not to ignore anything 'odd'
during an engine rebuild.  Almost always, it comes back to bite you.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org