[TR] 3B Head Start

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] 3B Head Start
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 22:53:57 EDT
Hey Guys,
While everyone is speaking of Cranks, I have been busy replacing the "Ole
Ladies" Head.  Assembly is complete and the start up is planned for  Thursday
Nite. The Head was well done with new everything.  Snake  oiled new push rods
and tappets are in place.  Valves are adjusted.  Now for questions.

1)  I screwed up and had to torque and untorque the Head 3  times, first due
to a stud not fully home and sticking up too far and next  to a forgotten rear
engine lifting bracket.  Each time great care was  taken to follow the proper
sequence  Should I have concern about stretching  those new studs?  Any
concern about the Head Gasket?  I feel a little  "Shade Tree" right now but
that is
the fact. Luckily I had my Ex - Marine son in  Law, Ben, to do the torquing
and at 105 ft lbs he was working up a  sweat!

2) What is the nominal setting for SU's?  I am going to say seven  flats?  I
had them screwed down a lot until the 3B was  "Happy".  But they look way off
and not even at all so with the bad head I  feel a need to start from scratch.

3) I am assuming that the timing will be OK since I was careful to set that
to the book.  Is there anything I should be doing before I turn the  Key?

Still time to make TRA but there is no margin for error.  Any  comments,
advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org