[TR] Spit rear hub rebuild question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Spit rear hub rebuild question
From: "Tim Gaines" <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 13:48:27 -0400
A couple of years ago I bought a Spit rear hub puller and practiced a
little with the axles on a parts car.  Now I'm into my driver, and
mistakes are not an option.  Everything went very smoothly on the left
side, both disassembly and reassembly with new bearings and seals, and
today I'm into the right side.  One of the instructions that came with
the puller was that once the hub is off and before the trunnion is
pulled, you should measure the distance from the tip of the axle to the
trunnion face (where the roller bearings are) so that the trunnion can
be reinstalled in exactly the right position later.  That distance on
the left was 75.5 mm and on the right 78 mm.  Is the discrepancy
someting to worry about?  Should I put the trunnion back at 78 mm or
should I go for symmetry?

I can't believe the design of the hubs.  There doesn't appear to be
anything to allow you to precisely locate the trunnion or to keep it
there once installed!

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tim
Clinton, SC