[TR] TR3A head rebuild advice

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR3A head rebuild advice
From: CFisher@borgwarner.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:45:50 -0500
Hi List,
I have a couple questions.

Here's the situation: I have my original stock head, which is very cruddy,
coked up and looks like the valves & guides & springs are do for refreshing.

I also have a doner head that unfortunately someone has shaved .100" off,
that looks like it has virtually new (standard sized) seats, guides &
springs.

My inclination is to have the stock head hot tanked, and have hardened
exhaust seats installed. Then have all the seats surfaced and have the
valves and guides transferred from the doner head to this one.

I don't know what is involved in removing the old guides, is it practical to
transfer them to the other head Or would it be cheaper to just buy new ones?

Does this sound like a reasonable approach (for someone who would like to
avoid going wild on spending for all the killer upgrades)?

Any better ideas, suggestions?

Thanks,
Curt Fisher

WWW.essex1.com/people/fishnet/ <http://www.essex1.com/people/fishnet/>
Spritely Vintage Racing Homepage.

"Racing is life, everything that comes before, or after is just waiting",
Steve McQueen from Le Mans.

"Compared to Road Racing, heroin addiction is like a vague longing for
something salty"

===     http://www.vtr.org