RE: [TR] TR4 distributor problem

To: steven@newellboys.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4 distributor problem
From: "Randy&Val DeRuiter" <deruiterville@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 15:13:09 -0500
Steven-

Did you by chance install the points on the replacement distributor?  You
may have a problem with the installation.  There is a small plastic piece
that isolates the points from permanently grounding.  I had this trouble
briefly before, and its been discussed here before as well - here is a
snippet from 2001:

>Your problem sounds like the points arent working properly for some reason.
>You can check by manually opening the points and looking for spark.  Remove
>the cap and rotate the engine until the points are definitely closed.
>Remove the coil wire from the distributor and locate it about 1/4 inch from
>a grounded surface.  Turn on the ignition, then manually open the points
>with a screwdriver.  You should see a spark if everything is working ok
>(then your problem could be the cap or rotor or wires).  If not, and
>voltage
>is present on the primary side of the coil, look for the possibility that
>the points are permanently grounded.  The coil side of the points should be
>isolated from ground - there should be a plastic grommet right underneath
>the wire lug where the wire attaches to the points.  If you have an
>ohmeter,
>you can test the points operation by disconnecting the wire from the points
>at the coil and attaching one side of the ohmeter to this wire and the
>other
>side to ground.  As you open and close the points, you will see the ohmeter
>go from zero resistance to infinity.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>John Lumia - 76 TR6

Not an expert either, just a "btdt" guess.

Good luck!
Randy
65 TR4

===     http://www.vtr.org