[TR] Koyo clutch release bearing

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Koyo clutch release bearing
From: "Chris Bohn" <cbohn@sidepipe.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:43:59 -0700
A couple of years ago, I ordered a release bearing from TRF. I had ordered the
OEM brand, but already put on the sleeve by TRF (I ordered from the TR4/4A
Glovebox Companion).  I did not receive the OEM unit, but rather the uprated
Koyo bearing on a sleeve (I don't think TRF carries the OEM release bearing
anymore).  Well, I am finally getting around to pulling the tranny, and
putting in the new release bearing will be part of the drill.  Here is my
"issue":  I've read some notes online written by some respected members of the
TR community that the Koyo bearing will eat through the fingers of the clutch
pressure plate, the reason being that it requires more torque to spin up to
speed when engaged and thus there is slippage against the clutch fingers prior
to synching up...and that means wear.  So, I am asking members of the list to
relate any Koyo bearing issues that have been encountered. This slippage is
apparently heralded by a slight shriek when the clutch is depressed; I've seen
some photos of clutch fingers that are pretty worn away by the Koyo.  Note
that my 4A has the slave cylinder arrangement of the 4 and earlier models,
meaning that there is a spring that pulls the release bearing back out of
contact with the clutch pressure plate and the operating fork lever is
threaded and can be adjusted. The later slaves/forks on TR250-6 don't have
that (and neither do the replacements from TRF, even for 4A).  That may make a
difference.  Anyway...if anyone has installed that Koyo bearing on their TR,
do let me know if it has worked out well for you or not.  Theoretical
conjecture will also be warmly received!

Many thanks

Chris

===     http://www.vtr.org