[TR] Fuel Pump Pressure Test

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Fuel Pump Pressure Test
From: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 19:58:29 -0400
OK, I've got the Facet fuel pump installed along with the Holley Regulator
and the car running with no leaks! So I hook my vacuum gauge into the fuel
line just before the carbs with a "T" fitting to check the fuel pressure
while the car's running. This is the exact same thing I did with the
mechanical pump and it worked fine. I even ran 6 feet of hose into the
cockpit to watch the gauge while driving per Randall's suggestion. But with
the electric pump and regulator, I get no reading at all on the vacuum
gauge. I tried adjusting the set screw on the regulator and still no
reading. If I hook up the vacuum gauge directly to the fuel line (with no
"T"), I get a reading but obviously the car won't run very long that way.
But then I got to thinking, does the car have to be running to check the
fuel pressure? Can I just hook it up directly to the fuel line, turn the
pump on and check it without the engine running? Any risk of damaging the
pump if the gas is terminating at the gauge and not really flowing?

BTW......if you leave the key on with the engine off, the pump pushes a lot
of gas through the carbs, out the throttle bushing, out the vent hole, on to
the floor very quickly.... I'm still working out the OPS wiring issue with
the pump shutting off if the engine stops. Dan told me how I should wire it
with his harness but I must have done something wrong!

Thanks for any help.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org