RE: [TR] Removing front lower wishbone

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Removing front lower wishbone
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 16:09:12 -0700
> I'm in the process of replacing the springs, shocks, bushings and
> repainting the 3A suspension, and have all of the driver's side off with
> the exception of the front lower wishbone arm - It won't clear the drop
> arm/rocker shaft. I removed the drop arm nut, but still too small a gap
> to wiggle the end of the wishbone arm through (maybe with some force,
> but I'm concerned about damaging the threads on the fulcrum pin and/or
> the rocker shaft). The need to remove the steering isn't mentioned the
> service manual. Is there another way to do this? If not, how much more
> of the steering has to be removed?

On my car, it will come off without disturbing the steering.  I don't recall the
exact procedure, but I know I've done it without taking the box out and I've
never taken the Pitman arm nut off with the box in the car.  I've reassembled it
that way too, so it wasn't just wear in the bushing that made the difference.
Is it possible you have undetected frame damage ?

> Is the lower fulcrum pin one piece, and if so, would I be able to tap it
> through towards the rear enough to free the front wishbone arm?

It's welded to the frame ... if it will move at all then you are in for a much
bigger repair than you had planned.

IMO the easiest thing would be to take out the bolts securing the steering box
to the frame, plus one of the clamp bolts at the split in the column.  Loosen
the pinch bolt where the outer column is clamped to the shock tower, then tap
the box forward in it's mount.  No need to disconnect it from the steering, you
can't need more than 1/4" or so and it should just slide that far without drama.

But after my experiences with my car, I would suggest that now is a perfect time
to remove & rebuild the box.  It made a world of difference in how my car
steered ... made me wonder why I hadn't done it years before !  And since I
didn't replace the worm or bearings, the cost was very minimal.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org