Re: [TR] TR4A Trailing Arm bushing Assembly Question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A Trailing Arm bushing Assembly Question
From: "Chris Bohn" <cbohn@sidepipe.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 20:01:08 -0700
Greg,

The inner sleeve has to be longer than the urethane bush.  The trailing arm
bracket is designed to crush against the inner metal sleeve, thus prevent it
from rotating.  The urethane bush then rotates around the inner sleeve. This
also happens with the rubber bushings, but in that case, the rubber deflects
axially and does not rotate around the inner sleeve (it is bonded to it).
If the inner metal sleeve is not long enough, it won't be crushed and one of
two things will happen:  1) The urethane bush and the inner sleeve will
together rotate around the securing bolt (not good) or 2) the bracket will
crush both the inner sleeve and the urethane bush, inhibiting either from
turning smoothly, in which case you will wear the both the urethane bush and
the inner sleeve against the bracket (also not good).

Chris