Re: [TR] replaCING BRAKE LINES

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] replaCING BRAKE LINES
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 20:52:43 EDT
Randall wrote:

We all  have our phobias, mine is driving down a mountain with no  brakes.   I
just hate that feeling you get when the pedal flops  to the floor; and  you
discover that rear brakes really don't do very  much at all going  downhill.
And since I enjoy driving Triumphs in the  mountains  ...

Mike replied:

You have a really active imagination!

==AM==
Perhaps he does. On the other hand, I've experienced serious brake fade
coming down steep roads on a couple of occasions. One was in a 1951 Chevrolet,
car not known for its brakes or handling to begin with. The other was in an
all-drum-brake Herald, a car slightly better known for handling (if not
brakes).

And I've experienced total loss of hydraulic brakes, luckily on a flat  area
where I could make use of the extraordinarily good handbrake of the TR3A  I
was in (saved that car AND my buddy's '61 Mercedes sedan)!

In more recent years, I ended up driving a Ford Explorer several hundred
miles after losing the rear brakes due to a rusted line. (Ironically, in a
place
called Mechanicsburg, PA, I couldn't find an open repair shop on a  Saturday
afternoon!) Fortunately, the front brakes were still very  functional.
Unfortunately, I was towing a 1957 Standard Pennant on a  single-axle trailer.
Talk
about planning ahead for slowing and stopping!

I share the same phobia with Randall.

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a  jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your,  er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines  Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North  American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and
Triumph Herald Database at its  new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)

===     http://www.vtr.org