[TR] Alternator Conversion

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Alternator Conversion
From: Bill & AnnaBelle Pugh <anabil007@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:58:11 -0700
Hi folks,
        Well the generator on Casper (TR3) finally gave up ... major
bearing  squeal ... I ordered the conversion kit from "Art" at
trparts.com, and it arrived it good time, the  instruction were very
clear, and no real problems with the installation  ... at first ...
        Welll the  kit hangs the  alternator from the  front bracket
of the  old generator mount.  And that  seems to work,  but the more
I thought about it the more I became worried about the weight  and
torque on that  1/8 inch  bracket.  Soooo,  with advice from my
favorite TR guy (Herman)  I  decided  to get a long bolt, some
sleeves and use BOTH ends of the old mount.  Measured everything and
concluded  i needed a 6 inch bolt.  Only to discover that the bolt
was too long to slide  through the  mount  from either  side, cross
frame  tube on the  front, and headers on the rear ... so I bit the
bullet and  removed the old mount from the  block,  which  turned out
to be a good thing as the rear hole  was  misshapen.  (Did  I
mention that  one of the  reasons the old generator failed was that
the  rear bolt holding it had gone missing??)
        So I  put the whole  thing together, and was happily adding
the alternator  when I  discovered the  bolt  was too short  ...
pulled  it all  out and  measured  the  bolt  ... 5.5 inches.
Luckily  I had the foresight to buy a couple  of longer  bolts,
saving  a trip to the  local hardware store (I  thought) so  I
measured the 7 inch bolt  ... 6.75 inches ...OK  I can use that  one
...  except the bushings will only  go down about  1/2 way on the
bolt where they become  "stuck".   Yep another trip to  the hardware
store, this  time  with bushing  in hand, it  took  me  5 bolts
before I found one "round enough" for the bushing to slide easily.
BTW the bolts were  3/8 x 16, as were the bushings. (3/8 that  is)
        Finally installed  everything, including  the new fan belt
that "Art" suggested,  and  lo  and behold  all works  well  ...
ignition light goes  out, ammeter  works,  as  do all the lights,
fans, wipers  ... Yahoooo...
        A lot  of work  and frustration, but now  the  weight  of the
alternator  is  cantilevered over the entire  old generator  mount,
and I  can sleep easily  ...

Press  on Regardless ...
--
Bill  Pugh