[TR] British Invasion query and this weekend's outing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] British Invasion query and this weekend's outing
From: <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:07:32 -0400 (EDT)
First, a query.  Looking for info on the British Invasion at Stowe,
VT.  Been asked several times if I was planning to drive the
GT6.  Never attended before.  So I'm looking for suggestions
about (1) accomodations, possibly a campground nearby; (2)
which activities are worth attending, what days, etc.  The B.I.
always happens about the time we take vacation in another
New England state, so the decision to go to Stowe means a
major change of routine, had better be worth the effort!

A neighbor has a beautiful, nearly all-original 1952 MGTD.
Yesterday at our instigation he and we (Sharon and I in the
GT6) made an outing to the countryside "terrorizing
farmstands" (as Sharon puts it).  'Twas great fun.  We turned
lots of heads, answered lots of questions.  At one farm as we
were loading newly-picked strawberries into a cooler in the
GT6, a van drove up, a family spilled out, and grandad came
over to ask about the cars with a very thick English accent.
Turns out he and grand-mum were visiting the family from
London and his passion was old motorbikes.  He related a story
of how he'd found a 1949 somethingorother and restored it.
Then, because it was the first year this bike had been made, he
received a letter asking if he would participate in a parade for
the Queen's birthday for which the organizers wanted one
vehicle from every year of her reign.  Well, of course!  We
talked about this story, he he spoke of the destruction of the
British auto industry due to misguided management, and other
motoring-related topics.

A few observations:  The GT6 is waaaaaay faster than an
MGTD!  (Duh, I wonder why...)  That was the most (ahem)
sedate drive I've ever made out scenic Rt117.  The GT6 is also
smaller, about the same weight (more or less), not as tall, and
has a significantly shorter wheelbase.  On the other hand, the
TD had no trouble pulling the few hills, nor braking on the way
down.  It sure looked neat.

It is quite possible that we might caravan together up to the
British Invasion, assuming we decide to go.  'Twould be a test
of my patience, I confess.
--
Jim Muller
red '70 GT6+