RE: [TR] TR3a heater fan

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3a heater fan
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:06:16 -0700
> I have been hearing all along that the heater is not a powerhouse but this
> doesn't seem like it will do a whole lot of anything at all. I
> would like it
> to demist my windscreen I guess.
> -Is that just the way it is?

Might be worth having the motor apart, to see how the brushes and commutator
look.  Also your battery charger may not be putting out a solid 12v ... it
_might_ work better on a real battery.

Many years ago I re-wound the armature of my heater motor, using fewer
strands of heavier gauge wire ... the result was an appreciable increase in
air movement.  But you can't do a whole lot, at some point the fan just
spins uselessly without moving any more air (or maybe even less).  I never
did arrive at anything that would effectively clear the windscreen, except
Rain-X and a rag.

Several people have written of heater upgrade for the TR2-3 ... the Spitfire
heater looks like a good conversion to me.   There was also a series of
articles published in TRSC's "Tech Talk" about using a heater unit from JCW
... but I don't know if it's still available.

> -If so, why have a rheostat to slow it down? (Maybe this is a similar
> question to "why is there a dimmer for the dashboard lights?")

Not to mention why the adjustable steering wheel adjusts from "closer than
non-adjustable" to "closer than that".

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org