Re: [TR] TR3 r. brake adjusters? - ASAP

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 r. brake adjusters? - ASAP
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:57:08 EDT
In a message dated 8/8/2006 6:48:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:

The  engine doesnt turn one of my rear wheels and in fact, neither can I
even  with the car raised off the ground.  I  unscrewed the brake adjuster  at
the back side- no help.  Taking the wheel off I see that both  wedges in the
adjuster mechanism are completely touching each other   understandable since
I backed out the adjustment screw.  I am  installing brand new brake shoes
and I have had the drums turned and after  this is all put back together, it
still required me to use wheel hub  pullers to take it apart the second and
third time.  What/s making it  so tight?  What should I do?

==AM==
Several possibilities come to mind. The most obvious yet unlikely (IMO)
possibility is that the linings are too large. But then I suspect you'd have
had
trouble getting the drums on to begin with if that were the case.

That adjuster works in quarter-turn increments; in between those turns, the
shoes will be pushed further out towards the inside of the drum. So make sure
you're on that quarter-turn spot.

I just put new rear shoes on my Herald, which has the same setup of Girling
brake, only smaller. On one side, I couldn't get the drum on no matter how  I
centered or adjusted...until I realized that the wheel cylinder piston was
actually "stuck" in an extended position. Once I pushed that fully home, the
drum went on fine. But I think I'll have to replace that wheel cylinder, since
 think the brakes occasionally drag. Now THAT could be either a bad cylinder
or  possibly a collapsing rubber brake hose that is not allowing the brake
fluid to  "go back" when the pedal is released. Obviously, I'll need to check
both; I know  the rest of the hydraulic system is good.

Of course, I don't know if you actually have the hydraulics setup yet, so
possibly none of that last paragraph will apply to you!

Oh, and do you have the locating springs and the little steady springs all
in the right spots?

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with   wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and
Triumph Herald Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)

===     http://www.vtr.org