RE: [TR] new and rusting?

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] new and rusting?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 07:21:25 -0700
>             After reading another manual tonight which spoke about the
> rusting tendency of steel  figure-of-eight gaskets (which I have).  Now Im
> worried that I might have done damage prior to ever even getting my car off
> the jack stands.  Am I overreacting?  If I drained the coolant at both taps
> does this drain the f-o-8 gasket get drained?  If I use a 50/50 mix of
> water/antifreeze does the protect it? I live in Georgia.

Paul,

I doubt you've done any real harm to the fo8 gaskets ... the steel ones are
supplied with a plastic coating to help preserve them (although I still prefer
the copper ones).

However, that rust-colored water is telling you something ... every time you see
that, something inside the motor has lost some of it's thickness.  It's very
thick to start with, but it can corrode away enough to cause problems.  As you
can see from the body, it does not take constant immersion in water to have
severe corrosion.  And the inside of the cooling system doesn't even have paint
to protect it.

So yes, I would suggest using some sort of corrosion inhibitor in your coolant,
even if it's only going to be in the engine for a short while.  30% antifreeze
will do (50% is OK too, but is overkill); or you can buy just the corrosion
inhibitor at your local parts store.

Get a bucket or something to store it in between uses ... many "hamburger
places" will give you a 5 gallon pickle bucket for free (if you ask nicely) that
works well.  Old antifreeze bottles work well, too.

Although probably not necessary, I like to filter coolant when I reuse it ... a
layer of cloth in a funnel will do.  Used to be that farm supply places would
sell you a funnel with a screen built into it, but I have no idea if they are
still available.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org