RE: [TR] TR3 gas lines and fuel tap

To: "Jeremiah Curry" <jercurry@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 gas lines and fuel tap
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:04:22 -0700
> I tackled the job of checking the gas lines to see if they were bad on my 57
> TR3.  Since it has been sitting with gas in the tank since 69, I was not
> surpised to find the line between the tank and the middle of the car totally
> plugged.  So I guess I need a new one of those.

Or, you could try soaking it with carb cleaner, Gumout or equivalent.  Won't
hurt anything, and it might work.

> The front half of the car is a little more complicated.  The line between
> the middle of the card and the fuel tap (that is what moss says it is)
> passes air from my compressor rather well. Should I still replace it?

If it passes fuel at all, it should be OK.  The new fuel will quickly dissolve
the old stuff, IMO.

> And then the fuel tap itself doesn't let a whole lot of fuel through, but
> I'm not sure if it should.

If it's open, it should allow plenty of fuel through.

> I am not sure what it does at all.

It's supposed to be a shut-off valve ("tap" being a 50's word for "valve").
It's main benefit is being able to shut off the flow of fuel when you need to
work on the fuel pump or clean the sediment bowl, as otherwise fuel will flow
from the tank (if it is moderately full).

>  It had
> instructions on the fron that say to turn one way to lock an pull to open.
> I couldn't do either, or turn the screw on the side.  Can someone enlightem
> me?

Sounds like it is pretty well gummed up.  Sitting wet since 1969, it will
probably need a new cork seal anyway.  I would suggest removing it from the car,
to disassemble and clean.  While you're at it, you can make out how it works
better than I can explain it.

Loosen the little hex nut on the top and turn the slotted adjustment clockwise a
couple of turns.  That should release the pressure on the cork seal.  Then
remove the screw in the side, and start trying to work the barrel out.  Again,
soaking in carb cleaner might help.  Heat (but be careful, carb cleaner is
usually quite flammable) may also help, especially with the screw on the side.

I believe new corks are available from the usual suspects.  Last time mine
started leaking, though, I used a length of nitrile fuel line in place of the
cork.  It's worked well for many years now.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org