[TR] TR3A Overdrive Problem

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3A Overdrive Problem
From: "Joe Wilson" <jawilson40@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 18:50:27 -0400
One more issue and the last year of work will result in a completed,
roadworthy TR3A.  I couldn't have done it without the help of the list.
Thanks, you've been great.

When I engage the overdrive, the piston raises the solenoid lever as it is
supposed to and one of the coils drops out while the other one holds it in
the engaged position.  The problem is that when the overdrive switch is
turned off, the lever stays in the up position.  The valve control lever is
adjusted properly and there is no voltage at the solenoid with the switch
off (i.e.; the switch is operating properly).  I don't see a return spring
of any kind in the parts book which would bring the lever back down.  If I
depress the lever  with my finger it returns fairly easily.  All of this is
occurring in the garage with the car stationary and the engine off and the
transmission in second gear.  What am I missing?

Joe

'58 TR3A
TS40336LO

name of winmail.dat]