[TR] ASAP fuel pump followup

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] ASAP fuel pump followup
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:34:24 -0400
Thanks for the fuel pump responses.  Several people suggested I try a wire
to hold the rocker arm up prior to installing the fuel pump.  That is what I
did on THIS LAST installation and I have to a now let the orange Permatex
Gasket Maker dry 24 hrs. before tightening it.  I am almost sure that with
my shakes some of this goop oozed where it shouldnt have and inside
where motor oil will have contact with it.  Im sure weve all done this,
but I wonder, whats too much?  Is a quarter of a teaspoon too much?
Maybe where it is used makes the big difference: ie before galleys or after
galleries, (if the routing of the oil makes a difference), maybe whether it
drys or not before the engines heat gets to it?  So thats my big question-
can I just forget about the drying goop?  Afterall, the tube of goops
directions dont mention any big cautions.

On one of my other fuel pump installation attempts when I did not use a
suggested piece of wire to hold up the rocker arm prior to nut tightening I
noticed the entire fuel pump traveled up and down while LOOSELY screwed to
the block as I cranked the engine (without spark plugs).  Several folks
asked why I would do this and the reason is that because the AC fuel pump
(with hand lever) had bolted up with the lever rigid and therefore I was
horrified as if something was about to ruin and ONLY would proceed with the
plugs out (because of a weak battery) and was ready to halt the cranking IF
I heard extraneous noises.  Despite several attempts I was unable to get the
hand lever to work resulting in my choosing to use a fuel pump with no hand
lever.  (This was kinda like admitting, Well, if Im gonna destroy the fps
rocker arm, then, at least let me go out, doing it without warnings and be
blissfully ignorant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

            Like I said, the fp traveled up-and-down, up-and-down and I took
this as a good sign because it must be riding on the camshaft- right?