[TR] Electric troubleshooting help

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Electric troubleshooting help
From: "Tomislav Marincic" <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 18:14:02 -0400
Hello,

I installed a new wiring harness in my TR6 this weekend, and I've run into some
trouble testing the heater fan motor. Am I testing it right?

My car has no battery, among other things, so I'm using a 10A battery charger
and a fused lead to apply power to the fan. I'm using a 15A fuse, and Dan
Master's TR6 book says the fan motor draws 6A. I'm testing the motor directly,
so the fan switch is not the problem.

With the fan motor grounded and the negative lead from the charger grounded, I
apply the fused lead to either the green/yellow or green/brown wire, and the
fuse blows immediately. With my cheapo ohmmeter, I read 3.6 ohms across one
circuit, and about 1.6 across the other. That translates to 7.5 amps and 3.3
amps at a nominal 12V, or a whopping 9.1A/4.1A at 14.6 charging volts.

Are these numbers normal? 9 amps sounds like way too much for that circuit. The
fan motor is freshly rebuilt, and I dread the thought of taking the heater
assembly back out again.

Thanks for any advice.

Tom Marincic
CC55483L