> Rebuilt the engine and it runs like a top. Only trouble, it
> has a big seep
> from the valve cover gasket. I tried Justin's silicone
> gasket, but it seems
> to be too long to fit the cover, and it seeps.
Justin's silicone gaskets have to be installed cold (some racers throw them
in the ice chest for rapid track-side changes). Even then, it takes some
finesse to get them stuffed into place. But if you have the gasket properly
in place (with the locater ridge visible all around the cover except where
it's cut away to clear the head nuts), and still have seepage, I would
suggest there is something else wrong.
Have you checked your rocker cover gasket surface for flatness ? Also that
it meets the surfaces on the head ? They sometimes bow out until they hang
over the edge above the plugs ...
> I tried the cork gasket
> installed dry, and it seeps, but I've shrunk from the notion
> of putting gasket
> sealer down because pulling the cover to adjust the valves
> could wind up with
> bits of cork finding their way into the lifter holes.
What I did before switching to Justin's gasket was to glue the cork gasket
to the valve cover with gasket cement (Permatex or similar), then use a
light coating of Hylomar between the gasket and the head. The Hylomar is
much less aggressive than the Permatex and won't tear the cork. This scheme
allowed me to reuse the same gasket for years, until it finally shrunk so
much that it opened a gap at one corner.
And then I could work on scraping away the Permatex and old gasket with the
cover on the bench, away from the open motor.
=== This list supported in part by The Vintage Triumph Register