[TR] Timing cover oil seal - which way round?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Timing cover oil seal - which way round?
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 20:05:01 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Hi folks,

Well, the package from Moss Motors arrived today.
Included is the oil seal.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like the one I banged out of the timing cover:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/AdrianJones34/Seal-top.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/AdrianJones34/Seal-bottom.jpg

The one on the left is the original one and, as you can see is totally enclosed
in a metal case.  The replacement has one side open.

Question is which way round does this seal get pressed into the timing cover
recess- I think it could physically go either way.

If I had to guess I suppose the "open" side would be pushed in first - that way
the seal would end up being totally enclosed.  (The "open" side would be in
contact with the metal of the recess - if that makes sense.)

At the good advice of a list member, I ordered a 1/2 ton press from Horrible
Fright ($30 + $8 shipping) but now I'm anxious to get started.  What do you
think my chances are of successfully "tapping" the new one place (using the old
one as a drift).  If I remember right, HF stuff takes about 2 weeks to get
delivered.

As usual, thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,  Adrian  TS58324

===     http://www.vtr.org