RE: [TR] O2T: ASAP Oil Changin' 101- GRINDING???

To: "'Paul Dorsey'" <dorpaul@negia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] O2T: ASAP Oil Changin' 101- GRINDING???
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 14:22:32 -0700
> HOW ABOUT CAREFULLY GRINDING OFF 1/8" FROM THE LENGTH OF THE
> SHANK OF THE BOLT??

Paul,

I'm not too familiar with the Tecalemit head, as all my TRs have had the
Purolator head.  But assuming it is similar, I would want to carefully
investigate WHY it doesn't fit.  That bolt didn't just magically get 1/8"
longer !!

Is there perhaps something stuck in the hole that it threads into ?  Could
the canister be the wrong one ?  Has someone tried to replace the bolt with
a hardware store item ?

There is a lot of force on that bolt, and it screws into a relatively soft
aluminum casting.  If the bolt pulls out of the casting, you will instantly
have no oil pressure !

IMO the bolt should pull up snug on the canister even without the gasket
installed.  If it doesn't, there is something wrong.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org