Re: [TR] Bezel Seal Material in TR4A Gauges

To: "Ben Zwissler" <bjzwissler@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] Bezel Seal Material in TR4A Gauges
From: "Skip Gurnee" <skip47@powernet.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:50:52 -0700
> I'm cleaning up the gauges for TR4A and when I remove the bezels there's
> some type of black material on the back side.  It's generally crumbly and
> hard and falls out.  Small sections almost look like cork.  Anyone know
what
> this and if there's a source for this seal?  I saw someone had the square
> black o-rings for sealing the gauges to the dash but can't find that email
> either.  Anyone know who had these available?
My experience has been that old black crumbly stuff on old Triumphs is in
fact rubber that has weathered.
Being an inveterate utilitarian, I can't answer for the purists who must put
exactly the correct piece in place. If you're like me and would be satisfied
with rubber rings, then go to your favorite outlet for plain old o-rings and
buy them cheap (do we dare mention Harbor Freight?).
Best,
Skip Gurnee
64 TR4, 66 TR4A

===     http://www.vtr.org