[TR] TR3 Wheel Rim and Tire Sizes

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3 Wheel Rim and Tire Sizes
From: "Richard Chandler" <rick@prop-tech.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:07:10 -0700
Dear List,

I'm over the hump! Last week I welded rocker panels onto my TR3 tub, marking
the first parts that were ADDED to the car, after many months of removal,
cleaning, renovating, and replacing. Frame and tub are epoxy primed and
finished (BRG, naturally), and await the steady, and pleasurable, build of a
roadster. Looking out a few months, I need to buy replacement rims (wires)
and tires, which leads me to my questions. I have searched the archives,
found a few similar questions, but no answers.

1.       Roger Williams, in his book, claims that 5.5J x 15 72-spoke rims
(TR6 material) will mount with no interference on a TR3. Is this true? If
not, will a 0.5" spacer work? The problem areas appear to be the calipers
(Girling B) up front and the leaf springs aft. Adding an inch of track
sounds good as well.

2.       Regarding tires, R. Williams again claims that 185/70 tires on 5.5J
rims work. My realistic options are 185/65 (too small a diameter) or 195/65,
which works great on paper. Has anyone out there mounted 195/65 tires on a
5.5Jx15 wire rim onto a TR3?

The folks at Dayton try, but always come back to the 5Jx15 60-spoke standard
upgrade. I'm installing a lot more grunt and want a safe set of wheels.

Thanks in Advance,

Rick Chandler

'57 TR3

Richard Chandler