[TR] Thrust washers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Thrust washers
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:18:51 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Hi folks,

I've posted this on the Spridgets list because it involves my 1500 MG Midget
(Triumph engine!) but I would like some input from you guys as well.  Its also
a topic I have not seen discussed much here.

It started with my complaints of a clunking noise and a bad jolt on upshifting
(especially taking off from rest).  The car actually stalls if you try to take
off quickly but its not too bad if you let the clutch out with no gas until you
are moving.

I'm quite sure its not U-joints, differential or wire wheel clunk.  The
noise/jolting seems to come from the gearbox/clutch area - does not feel like
something trivial.
Someone has suggested that the thrust washers are bad.
So, I took some readings with a dial indicator - first with the crank pulley
pryed back and then with the clutch pedal depressed. Subtracting one reading
from the other gives the full distance the crankshaft can move(crankshaft
endfloat).
Here's the results from nine sets of readings: 12,6,7,8,12,14,12,12,9.
Not very consistent but all within the Haynes "Crankshaft endfloat" spec of 6
to 14 thou.
Is this good enough or do I need to replace thrust washers?

Much appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,  Adrian TS58324

===     http://www.vtr.org