[TR] synth oil sound?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] synth oil sound?
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 22:17:27 -0500
Happy Solstice to you all!  May the season be peaceful and safe.

After putting synth oil (Valvoline Full-Synth 10-30) in the GT6 I
could swear the engine sounds different, feels different.  Mind you,
I also replaced a totally wide-open thermostat.  The engine seems
happier, quicker to warm, peppier.  Perhaps it is my imagination.
The heater works better!

But I also notice different sounds.  I hear a shweooeooeooeoo...
sound at idle as if something was rubbing.  Maybe it is just the belt
that I never heard before.  Maybe it is the water pump, or water
swishing through the thermostat.  Maybe I hear the tach cable more
now that the engine is quieter.  But it sounds like metal on metal
rubbing lightly.  Or the valve train, except that it isn't quite a
tapping like valves adjusted loose.  I ain't sayin' they aren't maybe
a bit loose, only that what I'm hearing doesn't sound like that.  It
is almost as if I could hear the cam followers, but naw, that's not
possible, is it?

Is this typical?  Does the seemingly lower viscosity make this
difference?

I also notice that the engine seems to run cleaner, less smelly.  And
the oil has practically no smell at all.

Final question - the guy at AutoZone said that once I started with
synthetic oil I couldn't go back to fossil oil.  Don't know that I'd
want to but I'm curious.  Is this true?  If so, why not?  If I found
myself a quart down at an isolated gas station in the desert which
carried only a fossil oil, would it hurt to put in one quart?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org