RE: [TR] paint prep

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] paint prep
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 08:24:08 -0800
> When I had my car stripped for painting the painter said it had to be
> primered within 24 hours of stripping.  If you don't primer it within 24
> hours it will develop oxidation that will turn into rust after it is
> painted.

It's a common misconception that primer will protect against rust.  Primer is
designed to be porous, so the top coat can penetrate and lock into it.  It's
primary purpose is to improve adhesion, it does little or nothing for rust
protection.  It's the top coat that locks air away from the steel, so it cannot
rust.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org