[TR] Thrust washers - Final Report

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Thrust washers - Final Report
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 11:15:37 -0500 (EST)
This may be a bit more interesting than my last post about how much oil to add!

You may remember that my 1500 Midget (Triumph engine) gave a horrible
jolt/jerk/clunk on upshifting.  Some knowledgeable folk on the Spridgets list
said this is a classic sympton of bad thrust washers.  This was strange because
the endfloat, measured with a dial indicator, was well within spec.

Anyways, over the holidays I bit the bullet, crawled underneath, dropped the
oil pan.  The endfloat, now measured with feeler gauge was still in spec.  I
went ahead and replaced the thrustwashers anyway, along with new main bearings.
 (I had replaced the big end bearing a couple of years back after the engine
started giving out the famous 1500 death rattle).

The amazing thing, apart from the fact that the engine actually started up
again, was that the jolt has gone!  Not only that but the oil pressure is now
60 psi at 3000 rpm with the engine warmed up and 22 psi at 1000 rpm idling
(before it was 8 rpm at idle!).  Also the oil leak is now only a couple of
drops.  Cool, eh?

Anyway, back to the thrustwashers.  The old ones looked in good shape, apart
from some battering on one of them:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/AdrianJones34/ThrustWashers1500Midget.jpg

They did not have the copper coloring like the new ones but were the exact same
thickness.  (std size)  The photo shows some oversize ones I got in case I
needed them.

Regards,  Adrian TS 58324 and MG Midget

===     http://www.vtr.org