RE: [TR] TBI conversion

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TBI conversion
From: "Biedermann, Frank \(SSABSA\)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:04:04 +1030
> There are (or at least were) a couple of companies selling
> throttle bodies that used the same bolt pattern as the ZS175
> and 6- series SU carbs.  That means you can just bolt them to
> the stock manifold in place of the carbs.
>
> However, there's still a lot of work involved running
> throttle linkage, extra fuel lines and so on.  Not real cheap
> either, by the time you do all that and buy an ECU.

Sorry to chime in late, but I've been on holidays.

You could do it another way - just buy the throttle bodies that Triumph
used on these cars originally. That'd mean you'd need to find someone
who has a wrecked non-US spec TR6, or 2500 TC (I think) and buy their
(3) throttle bodies (one throat per cylinder), linkages, etc. The sedan
bits are sufficiently similar to the TR6 PI bits that you won't have too
many problems. And you can throw away your intake manifold altogether
since they bolt straight up to the gasket...

You'll still have the problem of getting an ECU that can run the 6
required injectors if you're going electronic, but this will definitely
do it <http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html>, and has good community
based development/help/backing... Otherwise, grab the aforementioned
donor's fuel metering unit (may need remapping depending upon your cam
profile/compression, etc), injectors, and fuel pump.

Sound like fun? Sure, but it'd still be an expensive and time consuming
exercise methinks. The results are worth it though - not that I've done
the conversion but, as you can see from my signature, I have a Petrol
Injected 150 BHP TR6 (obviously non-US spec)...

Frank Biedermann
69 Triumph TR6 PI
Adelaide, Australia

===     http://www.vtr.org