Re: [TR] Cracked TR3 Heads

To: TR250Driver@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TR] Cracked TR3 Heads
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:13:49 -0500
On Thursday 11 January 2007 06:06 pm, TR250Driver@aol.com wrote:
> Guys,
> It is my understanding from various sources that the supply of original TR3
> cylinder heads is on the endangered species list.  Seems that  most spares
> are cracked beyond repair.  Therefore, we should be very  careful to
> preserve the remaining stock to ensure the continuation of original  TR3
> Heads. Perhaps Global Worming is the source of this problem, but I will
> leave that issue up to the engineers present on the List.  I would just say
>  I personally would never shave an original TR3 Head anymore than necessary
> to  resurface  it.  Great care should be taken with all remaining  stock to
> insure the continuation of the TR3 TRactor engine as original.
> Regards,
> Darrell

Darrell,

I am not sure how many "spare" 3, 4 and 4a heads are available but I am
guessing there are some. I see them on Ebay all the time in various
conditions.

But Moss does sell both cast iron and aluminum replacements heads. Not sure of
the quality but there is a source for heads for now.

Just in case, I managed to get my hands on 4 spares through the years.

Last year I had the head on the TR4 project cleaned, shaved (just a little)
and had new guides + hardened exhaust seats installed. I am hoping that head
out lives me. It sure looked like new after I installed the valves. The head
was crack free according to the machine shop.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org