Re: [TR] hardened valve seats - do I need them?

To: "Terry R Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] hardened valve seats - do I need them?
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 20:01:40 -0500
On Friday 12 January 2007 07:37 pm, Terry R Smith wrote:
> > Just wondering if I should follow the if its not broke don't fix it
> > rule  or tear the head off this winter and have it done.
> >
> >>Definitely don't fix it, IMO.  Odds are high you'll never have a
> >>problem ... so take the money you would have spent on those dubious
> >>additives and put it in a savings account somewhere.  If you ever do have
> >>a problem, the money will likely more than cover the cost of new seats.
>
> Bit of an alternate view here...I do agree not to pull the head
> specifically to install hardened seats.  However, my '70 Datsun 2000
> roadster did not have hardened valves, and I Did use Lead Substitute, but
> the valves pounded into the cast head anyway, and I had to have the
> hardened seats put in.
>
> But only do it if you're tearing it down anyway.  When I ground-upped my
> '59 TR3A, and rebuilt the engine, it only made sense to add it to the
> machine work I asked for.
>
> Terry Smith, '59 TR3A TS 58667
> New Hampshire  (Where, if it rains this weekend again to wash the salt off
> the road, I might get to drive the car again in January!  Thanking Odin for
> Global Worming!)
Terry,

That is what I did with my current TR4 project. Head was off, so new hardened
seats and bronz valve guides + valve job etc. I believe the extra charge for
the seats was $80.

My 58 TR3A was done way back in 79 without hardened seats but new guides and
valve job. Still has great compression and runs like a top.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org