[TR] Concours rules, Used to be Carpet Mats

To: Triumph Email List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Concours rules, Used to be Carpet Mats
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:13:29 -0500
Good morning.

This thread is the 1 single reason I will never enter any of my cars in a
"contest" for any reason.

I dont have the resources to take a 40 or 50 year old car and make it
original. I do the best I can with what $ and time I have and try to end up
with something that makes me happy.

A few year ago, I entered my 74 Triumph Bonneville in a competition. I
listened and watched the judges as they went over my bike. They marked me
down because I had some scratches on the air box cover. Well that item is
plastic and always rubs against the seat. I never thought to "restore" it
when I re-did the bike. Otherwise, the bike was in showroom condition.
Original to a T. I am the original owner, I should know.

Well I didnt even come close in in the final results. The trailer queens won
as usual. My T140V is a daily driver and I drove it over 50 miles just to get
to the show. No points for originality, no points for a daily driver, and no
points for doing all the work yourself.

Well I learned a lesson there. That is the last entry I will ever make. From
now on, when I attend events, the only folks that will "judge" my cars/bikes
will be the "peanut gallery".

I have made some mods on both my TR3 and 4 that I am sure will fail the acid
test if judged. But I get a kick out of working and driving these vehicles.

I also have the rubber mats from TRF installed, homemade badge bars with fog
and driving lights (and soon autox.team.net badges). I hope I dont get
banished from the list for these deviations from the "Standard".

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org