RE: [TR] Anal retentives and Trailer Queens addition

To: "'Martin Sukey'" <trmarty@glwb.net>, "'triumphs'"
Subject: RE: [TR] Anal retentives and Trailer Queens addition
From: "Ian" <Lbc.Resto@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:10:21 -0500
The Barratt-Jackson mentality, and most of the so-called restoration shows
on TV (read commercial ads), is turning our hobby into "my auto restoration
company is better than yours".  If an owner has the skills, and quite
frankly the money, to physically do the majority of work that is required to
restore a car to original factory or better condition, then more power to
them.  If it happens because they throw money at a professional restorer,
rarely drive the end result (and I understand the rain comments) and
ultimately trailer even short distances to a show, then they are killing the
hobby.

I used to have these cars as daily drivers back in the day.  Years passed
and I got back into them as a hobby last year.  I went to shows to talk to
the owners to get reminded of what I had forgotten and I find that a lot of
them answer even basic questions in the same way, "Oh, I would have to ask
my mechanic/restorer to find that out".  We seem to have lost sight of the
fact that the fun of these meets used to be meeting similar oddball people,
swapping "how-to" tips and "LBC war stories".

Just this reporter's opinion...

--
Ian
62 TR4