Re: [TR] For UK residents and ex pats UK Travel tax

To: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@onwight.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] For UK residents and ex pats UK Travel tax
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:37:19 -0500
On Thursday 18 January 2007 07:05 pm, Graham Stretch wrote:
>       Hi Folks
>       This is for UK residents EXpats, I Apologise to those of you whom
> this does not affect but it is important over here to try to stop this
> nonsense, if you agree please take the time and pass it on!
>
>       Graham.
>
>       This is the petition that Tony Blair acknowledged earlier this week
> and said that it would not affect his thinking!!! The stronger it becomes
> the less able he will be to ignore it.
>       Sign and pass it on. it only takes a minute.
>

>       The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you
> having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill
> to use it. The tracking device will cost about #200 and in a recent study
> by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was #28 for a rural florist and #194
> for a delivery driver. A non working Mum who use the car to take the kids
> to school paid #86 in one month. On top of this massive increase in tax,
> you will be tracked.
>
>       Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know
> how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a
> speed limit you can expect a NIP with your monthly bill.
>
>       If you care about our freedom and stopping the constant bashing of
> the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website.
>

> Link: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

Graham,

I read an article about this "road tax" about a year ago. I guess they are
going through with it. Is it true that all methods of transport will be taxed
including bicycles (non motorized)?

There are rumor that is going to happen here in the US. I think Oregon has
proposed this same law.

I guess there will be nothing we do in life that will not be subject to a tax
or fee.

I am wondering what the government will do here if we all start driving
electric cars. Will they start taxing our power bill to pay for road tax? I
am guessing they will and we again will be "screwed" for going green and
using less.

The same happens here when there is a mild winter, the gas/electric company
asks the state for a rate increase and bingo, we are paying more for
conserving.

I know the govt needs $ to run the country etc, but where will it end?
It is my belief that we, the citizens need to be asking for "less" from the
govt not demanding more and more services for things we used to manage
ourselves.

And add the fact that the govt will know everywhere you go, visit etc. Privacy
just took another hit. And no one will ever even approach the speed limit,
including passing etc. How will that affect traffic flow on the interstates
in the us and the M highways in the UK?

At least here in NYS the state provides our "Easy Pass" transponder for free.
This device allows us to just drive through toll points without stopping. Do
they monitor your average speed? Not sure. Never received a ticket yet. It
does make driving on toll roads and bridges a bit easier. Since you have to
pay, the easier it is the better in my mind. But a toll for every road?

THe next move will be placing these devices on our shoes and sneakers. Us
runners will be paying for all the extra miles and wear and tear we place on
our sidewalks and other running/bike paths! Next step will be to place a
"chip" somewhere in the body at birth!

And can anyone remember 1984 by George Orwell?

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org