[TR] welding- structural adhesive followup

To: <jerry.stasyzen@sbcglobal.net>, list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] welding- structural adhesive followup
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:25:43 -0500
Jerry,
I had posted an inquiry to the list about structural adhesives in a thread
'sill replacement on a TR3'.  Since that time, I have been sent a brochere by
Norton on their line of Speedgrip Structural Adhesives for Automotive use.
These epoxy adhesives and urethane seam sealers look fantastic in the brochere
and some require special applicators.  I never called them as I figured they
were too expensive for me, but their no. is 1-866-879-3761 (they also can be
found at nortonautomotive.com).
        I bought several tubes of 3m seam sealer at my local auto paint dealer
for
$15 each, and also $5 silicone caulking at Home Depot. (Just in case)
        I hope to use the 3m on places instead of welding like the bottom of the
outer sill or even where no real stress occurs.  However I decided to weld the
main joints.  I will also do some tests to see if I have good penetration.  My
hope is to seam weld the floorpans at the top of their flanges, howeverm, if
need be, I will also plug weld them (which is more like the factory's spot
welds.  The reason for my seam welding 'stitch welding' preference is that the
results seem more visable and airtight (although ALL of this is to occur
within the next few days.)  Prior to welding it is proably important to use
Weld-Thru Primer on places that will get covered by the weld.
        I would feel comfortable using Speedgrip Structural Adhesives on my TR3.
There is no real danger as the chassis runs under the floorpan's seating.  I
had already invested in a cheap welder, lessons, etc. so I couldn't justify
the cost of these newer products.

===     http://www.vtr.org