RE: [TR] Silent block replacement - was Grease seals

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [TR] Silent block replacement - was Grease seals
From: ray@raysmg.com
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 12:22:07 -0700
David asked "...What is the proper technique to get this bush into the
steering arm?".

David,
I also replaced the silent blocks when I rebuilt my suspension recently.
I removed the center (long) tie rod from the car, removed what was left
of the old silent blocks, and cleaned and repainted the tie rod. To
insert the new blocks I took a piece of hardwood about 4"X4"X6" and
used a Forstner bit to drill a 1" hole 1 3/4" deep into one of the 4"
faces. This hole is to receive the small end of the silent block(s) as
it is pressed into the tie rod. I fixed the hardwood (with the hole
horizontal) to one jaw of my 6" vice with double sided carpet tape and
positioned the silent block in place in the tie rod hole with the big
end butted against the other vice jaw face. I closed the vice slowly
making sure the silent block was perpendicular to the flat on the tie
rod. Worked great...the rubber bulged a little, but no problem.

I then positioned the small end of the silent block in the hole in the
steering arm. The silent block is a tapered fit into the arm, so I just
installed the washer and nut, and used the nut to tighten the silent
block and arm together.

Not sure if this is the proper technique, but, it worked for me. Hope
this helps,

Ray

Ray McCaleb
ray@raysmg.com